Fletchers Paper Mill 16th March 2009
Originally a woollen mill in 1780, a flood washed away several buildings in 1799. In 1850’s after a major rebuild, several hundred workers were employed in wool carding and spinning, many of the workers were housed in the row of cottages. By the end of the 19th century, it converted from wool spinning and became a bleachworks. In March 1914, cotton wool caught fire and destroyed several buildings. The Great War was a turning point for another industry. Cigarette paper became a staple for Robert Fletchers & Son. Who had been in existence since the 1820’s.
When the war ended, Fletchers searched throughout Britain for a suitable site (plenty clean water, close to ports, presumably close to their other mill), and in the end landed at Greenfield. The existing mill buildings were gutted, new parts added and two paper-making machines were installed. Robert Fletcher & Son (Greenfield) came into operation in 1921, and operated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from then until it shut.